The call for the travel support is ongoing. The application will be processed in the first board meeting after the application has been submitted. The processing time is approximately 3–8 weeks after the application and all the required appendices have been submitted. The Finnish Film Foundation’s board meets about once a month.
The aim of the support
The aim of the support is to promote the internationalisation filmmakers, the international distribution of Finnish films, boost the international status of Finnish films and to expand the skill set of film professionals.
The Finnish Film Foundation is responsible for the export of films whose main production country is Finland.
Support for international promotion may be primarily granted for films that have received production support from the Foundation. The support covers completed and soon to be completed feature films, short or serialised drama, documentary, animation or children’s films and combinations thereof.
Travel support for international promotion is intended for filmmakers (artistically responsible crew member) or production companies to cover travel expenses to an international film event outside of Finland where the applicant’s film is competing or being screened.
For what purpose and how much?
Travel support for international promotion is primarily intended for the reasonable travel expenses of filmmakers (not daily allowances). The support is granted mainly when a festival offers free accommodation to invitees.
Travel support may also be granted for export travel initiatives developed by the Film Foundation.
Support may be granted in full (100%) for necessary and justified reasons in order to reach stated objectives. Travel support applications should be filed no later than six months after the end of the trip.
The cost estimate accounts for the project expenses without VAT. If the grant recipient does not have the right to VAT deductions, the costs may be approved with VAT.
Previous support decisions may be viewed from the Foundation’s support decisions page.
How are the applications evaluated?
Travel support for international promotion is discretionary. The handlers evaluate internationalisation from the perspective of the production company and the needs of filmmakers. The evaluation is also affected by the international significance of the film festival or event. The support is granted mainly when a festival offers free accommodation to invitees. Other support previously granted by the Film Foundation to the applicant is also taken into account.
How to apply?
Applications are entered into the online application system by submitting the application and appendices to the Film Foundation. New applicants must register in the online application system. New clients are registered within a week.
Applicants fill in an application in the online application system that consists of an electronic application form and the necessary appendices that are uploaded into the system.
- travel plan or report including a justification for the significance of the event in terms of internationalisation for the film or filmmaker
- invitation to the event
- a summary of travel costs and actualised costs (an extract from accounting or receipt of paid invoices)
- Support may also be granted to the distribution of a film or cultural product that
1) forms an artistic whole;
2) has content that is based on cultural values originating in cultural identity; and
3) includes a significant contribution by creators and artists and the share of their wages and salaries of the production costs is significant.
- The project’s costs are approved without VAT. If the grant recipient does not have the right to VAT deductions, the costs may be approved with VAT.
- The Film Foundation may request further information if it deems it necessary for the decision-making process.
- A prerequisite for granting the support is that the recipient has complied with possible earlier support agreements and met their conditions.
- The Film Foundation oversees the use of the support and it has the right to audit the recipient’s finances and operations.
- The actualised overall funding of the travel must not exceed the travel’s actualised costs.
Support cannot be granted if the application is insufficient and the required information is not uploaded into the online application system despite requests to do so.
The Finnish Film Foundation’s Board decides on the travel support for international promotion based on the CEO’s presentation.
Applicants receive a written notification.
The application will be processed in the first board meeting after the application has been submitted. The processing time is approximately 3–8 weeks after the application and all the required appendices have been submitted.
The decision is based on the act of government funding for the advancement of cinema (56/2018), the Act on Discretionary Government Transfers (688/2001) and the Administrative Procedure Act (434/2003).
Feature films, drama series over 22 minutes: International Promotion Coordinator Jenni Domingo, tel. +358 9 6220 3032, firstname.lastname@example.org
Documentaries (over 30 minutes): Advisor / International Promotion and Cultural Export of Documentary Films Suvi Railo, tel. +358 9 6220 3021, email@example.com
Short films (including documentaries under 30 minutes), TV-series (episodes under 22 minutes): Advisor / International Promotion and Cultural Export of Short Films Otto Suuronen, tel. +358 9 6220 3019, firstname.lastname@example.org
Further instructions about the application process and decisions are available in the support guide.